Incident Command System Training
Emergency Management offers the FEMA-approved, yet Virginia Tech specific, Incident Command System courses 100, 200, 300, 400, and 700 on the Blacksburg campus.
Click here for the latest Incident Command System training schedule.
Check below to find out specifics for each of these training opportunities:
- ICS 100 HE – Introduction to the Incident Command System for Higher Education ICS 100 for Higher Education introduces the Incident Command System and provides the foundation for higher level ICS training. This course describes the history, features, principles, and organizational structure of ICS. Additionally, it explains the relationship between ICS and the National Incident Management System (NIMS).
- ICS 200 – Incident Command System for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents ICS 200 is designed to enable personnel to operate efficiently during an incident or event within ICS. ICS 200 provides training and resources for personnel who are likely to assume a supervisory position within the ICS.
- ICS 300 – Intermediate Incident Command System for Expanding Incidents This course provides training and resources for personnel who require advanced application of the Incident Command System. ICS 300 expands upon information covered in the ICS 100 and ICS 200 courses. OEM does not offer ICS 300 as frequently as 100 and 200. For ICS 300, OEM typically partners with instructors from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management to provide a Virginia specific application to Emergency Management.
- ICS 400 – Advanced ICS for Command and General Staff - Complex Incidents and MACS ICS 400 expands upon the material covered in ICS 100, 200, and 300. ICS 400 focuses on large single-agency and complex multi-agency/multi-jurisdictional incident response. The course addresses area command and staff issues, as well as the planning, logistical, and fiscal considerations associated with complex incident management and interagency coordination. For ICS 400, OEM typically partners with instructors from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management to provide a Virginia specific application to Emergency Management.
- ICS 700 – National Incident Management System (NIMS) Training This course provides an overview of the National Incident Management System, a consistent nationwide system used to promote collaboration of all government, university, private-sector, and nongovernmental organizations during incidents. The National Incident Management System Training is appropriate for all personnel interested in incident management.