Follow these procedures to help assure your safety:
- Evacuate the building quickly and calmly. For example, be sure to identify more than one way to exit each building. If the nearest exit is blocked, you’ll need another way out.
- If things are falling off bookshelves or from the ceiling, take refuge under a sturdy table or desk.
- If there is a fire, stay low to the floor and exit the building quickly.
- If you are trapped in debris, tap on a pipe or wall so that rescuers can hear where you are.
- Help others escape the building and move to your designated assembly area, a safe distance away.
- Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and responders.
- Do not attempt to rescue people who are inside a collapsed or compromised building unless you have received specific training to do so. Wait for emergency personnel to arrive.