When you witness violent, threatening, or suspicious behavior
- Immediately move away from the incident.
- If you hear about an incident on campus, please stay away from that area.
- Dial 9-1-1 to contact the Virginia Tech Police Department.
If you are experiencing a crisis and need someone to talk to, call the Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) or 1-800-799-4899 for TTY.
Detailed guides on specific types of violence
Report what you see
Report violent, threatening, or suspicious behavior by calling 911. Provide as much information as possible and do not hang up until explicitly instructed to do so. Questions to expect include:
- WHERE: Where is the incident taking place? Where are you located? Where is the assailant?
- WHO: What does the assailant(s) look like? Do you recognize the assailant? Do you know his/her name?
- WHAT: What is the assailant carrying? What type of weapon(s) did you see? A handgun, rifle, or explosive? Was he or she carrying a backpack, bag, or carrying case? What did it look like? What did you hear before, during, and after the confrontation? Explosions? Gunshots?
- HOW: How is the assailant communicating? What language is being used? What threats or commands are being said?